New Zealand Gambling at Online Kiwi Casino Sites
The Gambling Act 2003 in New Zealand, which is also known simply as The Act, was the first law of its kind in New Zealand that was brought in to keep an eye on (in other words monitor & regulate) remote interactive gambling. This includes online gambling & mobile gambling activities. Apart from a few exceptions, such as the Racing Board and the Lotteries Commission, remote interactive gambling is not allowed in New Zealand.
New Zealanders are therefore NOT legally permitted to place a wager at any unauthorised, NZ-based gaming site using radios, telephones, computers, communications devices or any other similar devices. This is what is known as interactive gambling. However, the law does NOT prohibit New Zealanders from being able to practice interactive/remote gambling at gaming sites which operate from OUTSIDE of New Zealand borders.
The only real cash New Zealand gaming sites that kiwis can actually gamble from include just a small number of strictly regulated lottery sites and betting sites. As much as a NZ$10,000 fine can be imposed for individuals gambling in unauthorised NZ based gaming sites and up to a NZ$50,00 fine can be imposed for unlicensed organisations that operate within New Zealand’s borders. Only lotteries or racing & sporting events provided by the state run gambling operator, TAB (the Totalizator Board), can be gambled on. Gambling is also permitted at remote venues that are controlled by the New Zealand Lotteries Commission (NZLC).
The good news for New Zealand players is that there are plenty of reputable offshore operators who aim their business towards the NZ market. These trustworthy operators specifically cater towards New Zealanders, they accept NZ dollars and they provide 24 hour support for registered members. The telephone support is usually available 24 hours per day and it is toll-free for New Zealanders. Live chat and email support are both also usually available.
The majority of today’s most secure NZ online casinos are powered either by Microgaming or Playtech software, but you can also now find a growing number of games at these venues from various other software companies such as Net Entertainment (NetEnt), Betsoft Gaming and IGT Interactive.
You will also find that today’s most secure NZ online casinos are licensed either by the Alderney Gambling Control Commission, by the Government of Gibraltar, by the Lotteries & Gaming Authority of Malta, or by the Isle of Man Gambling Supervision authority.
Some Great Links for New Zealand Visitors
- Online Pokies - The official Kiwi guide to online pokies that offers players from New Zealand detailed information about the best online pokie casinos to play at along with news and other relevant info.
- Best Casino Online - Simple website that provides a listing of New Zealand online casinos with reviews along with other information that may be of interest to NZ players.
- Online Casino Reviews - Dedicated to New Zealand players this website reviews online casinos for Kiwi players as well as offers other information that could be found to be useful by NZ players.
- Pokie.net.nz - Offers several reviews of online casino sites that offer superior service to New Zealand players looking to play in NZD. Provides progressive jackpot information along with other information such as regularly added stories to the site.
- Problem Gambling Foundation NZ - Great resource for information pertaining to problem gambling for players from New Zealand. A helpful guide and help services for those in need.
- Choice Not Chance - One of the newer problem gambling help services that's geared towards Kiwi players but great things have been said about them and their level of service to help those with gambling problems in New Zealand.